Thursday 13 March 2014

Crystallized Ginger, also called 'Too much effort'

There's like this ginger candy I ate way back like, 1 year ...10 months? I don't even know anymore, but it was good - good enough for me to try making my own when I couldn't buy it anymore.

My initial attempts yielded success but took alot of effort. What I did was cut ginger into finger sized pieces, my fingers are average sized (4 inch pointer with approximately 1.7 inch width, 4.5 inch index finger with slightly thicker width than my pointer, 1.8 inch width, ring finger 4.3 inches with 1.7 inch width, thumb with 3 inches length and 2 inch width and lil finger with 2.5 inch length and 1 inch width) so if you have different sized fingers ....it ....it doesn't matter.

Make a sugar syrup till it's almost in the hard candy stage (becomes a solid at room temperature), you can tell by sight when the sugar has not browned but it making thick heavy bubbles like molasses does. Throw in ginger pieces and stir, allowing the sugar to pull out moisture from the ginger. Turn off the heat and let it soak.


Now, the ginger will not be dry like it should be but have patience. Turn the heat to high and heat it again, now when it reaches the hard ball (not hard candy) stage, throw in a cup of table sugar to seed crystallization. Stir till the syrup has returned to a crystal form, your measly amount of ginger candy is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment